Wednesday 12 March 2008

The Federal Vision And The Language Of Appearance (End)

Part one, part two, part three, part four, part five, part six, part seven

I said, "to be concluded". In fact, I don't think there's anything more that needs saying. There were just two verses I forgot to reference which I think bear out my point that Arminians have a much better position if we're going to accept the hermeneutic that the Federal Visionists have used here:

"But if your brother is grieved by your food, you are not walking charitably. Do not destroy him with your meat, for whom Christ died." - Romans 14:15

"And through your knowledge shall the weak brother perish, for whom Christ died?" - 1 Corinthians 8:11

"See," says the Arminian, "Christ died for him, he's a real brother, but he ends up perishing. Christ can die for someone, and he can be lost. You have to twist the text to avoid the conclusion." I would be interested to read how an FV proponent exegetes this verses, avoiding the Arminian conclusion yet defending the propriety of using the same hermeneutic on other verses such as Matthew listed. I haven't looked very far to see how they do this, but I think these verses would make an excellent text case of whether they're willing to follow their method to its logical conclusions or not.

(The end!)

No comments: