Thursday 17 June 2010

What is love?

The second half of term at Bible college has started, which for me means continuing in Exodus and 1 John.

Here's a challenge from 1 John 3:16:
"By this we know love, that he laid down his life for us, and we ought to lay down our lives for the brothers."
What is love? According to the Bible, we must measure it by the standard of Christ giving himself on the cross.

So... have I loved my wife enough yet? My children? My fellow-believers? Have I kept the law of God by loving them as myself? Can I sit back and say, "that's enough now - now it's their turn"?

The answer is "yes", if and only if I have done as much as Jesus did on the cross for me.

If (!) I have not done that much, then I still owe them a debt of love. Then it is still my duty to do more in serving them.

And then I must realise that in as far as I fall short of that standard, that's the sin that needs to be forgiven and which Jesus died for. What amazing grace that he can forgive so much!

No comments: