Saturday 29 May 2010

Ninety-nine ten

One commenter a few months ago said he liked it if pastor-bloggers talk about some of their "outside" interests as it humanises us. Well, I needed no excuse to mention running again...

Today was the number three out of my "big five" of planned runs, climaxing hopefully in a marathon in about 4 weeks. (The big five are three twenty-milers (two down so far, one remaining) for the endurance, a "raced" (against the clock!) half-marathon to test my speed, and the marathon itself).

Today was the half-marathon. Because of injuries and travel arrangements, I haven't been able to race one since September 2007 - and that was objectively my best run ever: 1:36:40 (7:22 per mile). Everything went well on that day: perfect weather (cool, with a tiny bit of drizzle to prevent the body needing to spend much energy sweating), fresh legs, well-timed. Anyway, that was blogged back here.

Matching that performance would be tough, even given the 4 months of injury-free training this year since my January marathon. I don't know what a true equivalent performance would be; Eldoret is at a 7000ft altitude, and it is more hilly than the Derbyshire Dales - there's very little running that isn't up or down, and the slopes can last for dozens of miles. (Not uniform - every mile may be a net up, with almost no flat, but there can be some downs along the way). In any case, my best 10-mile time in training was 2 minutes behind what I did then. Today's course was up for half the distance, then turn round and come back down.

At half-way I thought I still had a chance, but the extra gears needed in the second half were not there - I accelerated some, but not enough for 1:36:40. The result was 1:39:10 - exactly 2.5 minutes slower. It did still include (by 30 seconds) my fastest 10 miles ever in Kenya (though assisted by a 200 foot net elevation loss!). I'm still really pleased; when I did that 1:36, it was the absolute limit of what I thought was possible, and had set a target of 1:40; which today I did meet, so no complaints.

According to the 1.06-exponential formula used to calculate an equivalent performance (raise the ratio of the distances involved to the power of 1.06) that could translate, all things being equal, to a 3:26 marathon. 1:36:40 translates to 3:21, but the actual result was 3:40 - though an injury got in the way. I think the formula is a big optimistic though once you go over 20 miles - it's a different ball game at that stage. And all things won't be equal: for reasons I won't bore you with, the planned marathon involves 21 miles of near-continuous uphill. I'm not quite sure what happens if you try such a thing, but I wonder if it could be more morale-destroying than 3 miles on Chesil beach. All being well, we shall see!

By the way, what are the benefits of spending 100 minutes running in a large circle? For me, I need less sleep, sleep better when I do sleep and have significantly more energy during my days. As well as finding it mentally relaxing which is always welcome when one's work does not involve many other mindless tasks.

No comments: