Wednesday 27 August 2008

What is God's will for my life?

What's God's will for my life? It's that I should believe in Jesus Christ and pursue holiness, obeying his commandments.

Lots of Christians are continually asking "What's God's will for my life?". But what they mean is, what job should I do, where should I go on holiday, how should I use my time this evening. This is all good, in it's own way. We should submit all major decisions to God, and seek to please him in everything. But, do we sometimes miss the wood for the trees? Though we seek God's providential guidance as we go to this place or that place, ultimately as we look at the Bible as a whole we must say "where you go on holiday is essentially a matter of indifference". God's will is that you speak kindly to your wife, trust in every situation in his Son, do works of kindness towards those in need, pay your bills and taxes on time, witness about Jesus to those who are lost, and so on. You know - the "ordinary", "dull" things. Actually, if we may so speak, from God's point of view, your holiday is dull - but practical holiness is something he finds really interesting. How do I know this? Because the Bible he gave us says lots, more and then plenty more still about holiness!

It ought to grieve a right-thinking Christian to see so many continually looking for a special "word from the Lord" to do with things that are matters of indifference from a Biblical point of view... whilst giving scant attention or effort to those things which the Bible speaks about on every page.

No comments: