Friday 15 June 2012

What is the chaff to the wheat?

Some precious verses to us this week (Jeremiah 23:26-29):
26 How long shall there be lies in the heart of the prophets who prophesy lies, and who prophesy the deceit of their own heart, 27 who think to make my people forget my name by their dreams that they tell one another, even as their fathers forgot my name for Baal? 28 Let the prophet who has a dream tell the dream, but let him who has my word speak my word faithfully. What has straw in common with wheat? declares the Lord. 29 Is not my word like fire, declares the Lord, and like a hammer that breaks the rock in pieces?
Get into Christian service of whatever kind, and you'll find a lot of straw (or chaff, KJV). A lot of lying and deception, of worldliness and sinful behaviour, often done in the name of the Lord.

But, must it discourage us? What is the chaff to the wheat? Is not God's word still fire, and a hammer to break rocks in pieces?

Yes, and amen. So let's keep going.

No comments: