Friday 9 January 2009

Faithfulness

Whilst preparing a sermon for the coming Lord's Day, I'm reminded of something - perhaps 9 years ago.

I had become concerned that the Lord perhaps wanted me to be in full time service, so I went to see someone a few years older than me who was in training to ask his advice. His advice was that perhaps the Lord did - but that I should not concern myself with working out the details now, or fretting that I was not there already. The Lord had placed me where I was now; I should serve him faithfully in my present situation, and he would lead me gradually to some greater field of usefulness or service when the time was right. I should perhaps speak to one of the ministers at church, and see if they needed help in a children's club, or see if there were any opportunities around college, etcetera.

It was good advice. It seems the Lord actually did want me to be in full time Christian service, a wonderful privilege, and in a country not my own. But just knowing the facts of the future does nothing for the kingdom - just as much, he wanted me to serve him where I was there and then. "For to everyone who has, more will be given, and he will have abundance; but from him who does not have, even what he has will be taken away" (Matthew 25:29).

(I don't suppose Nathan Buttery reads my blog ... though if you know him, pass it on: thanks Nathan for your good advice!).

No comments: