Thursday 3 October 2013

Albert Mohler on state schools

This is very interesting, and I am glad to read it. Albert Mohler is a significant figure amongst US evangelicals. I am not familiar enough with the US evangelical scene to know whether any comparably significant figures have gone as far as he has yet; but I am glad that he has. In reading this quote, remember that a what is called a "public school" in the US is what in the UK is called a "state school" (confusingly, in the UK, the terms "public school" and "private school" mean the same):
Is public school an option? For Christians who take the Christian worldview seriously and who understand the issues at stake, the answer is increasingly no. The number of Christian parents coming to this conclusion increases each year. We can understand the nostalgia that many Christians hold about the public schools. I spent every minute of my school life from the first grade to high school graduation in a public school. And yet, I saw the ideological transformation of the schools before my own eyes. Long ago, the public schools entered a Brave New World from which no retreat now seems possible.

http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/am/v8/n4/is-public-school-option
The article is thought through and makes carefully argued distinctions; I recommend you read it all.

No comments: